I've encountered it more here in the south than any other place and I've tried to really think of how to respond. Our little West Monroe, LA bubble is not as metropolitan as one would hope.
Unfortunately, I have heard several people use "mexican" as a derogatory term. I don't really want to hear, "be careful, you're starting to look Mexican." What does that even mean?
I am starting to believe that even the folks that don't consider themselves racists, are indeed racists. And it is difficult to hear this kind of thing at a church function. Hear me, that it is not the view of the church, but of a few members. I think we need to do a better job of being aware of who we are as people and what love is.
My only point of reference for being "mexican" is parents with 2 or 3 college degrees, a great family, amazing friends, and a passion for knowing and sharing my culture. I've never had a fear of looking "white" or "black" or "asian". If God created the beauty of all of these things, what is so terrible about them.
I just can't let this happen again. I was so stunned when I heard this that I just walked away out of hurt. It was such mixed company that I didn't want to make a spectacle. But I should have...perhaps the embarrassment of that would have kept this group from future bigotry.
And let me just address the slur that people use as "gay". It is the same concept and I don't think it's respectful at all. People are people. And thankfully, we are all different.
2 comments:
Let me know if I need to go beat anyone up for you! J/k... kind of!
well said :) and thank you :) loveyou..
Post a Comment