The quick trip to Baylor was work, but it was a fantastic time. I enjoyed every minute! My brief lecture was a success and the kids were quite receptive. They asked more questions than I expected during the Q&A. And Darden paid me the compliment of being a natural storyteller when I speak. I would normally shrug that compliment off like I do everything else, but it means something.
I met with Darden to discuss the manuscript and he says the book is done. I am probably 2 edits from being completely finished and he is encouraged by the fact that it is commercial quality a.k.a. it might possibly attract a large publishing house. There is still work to be done and once I get back from Mississippi, I will spend my time making the changes that would benefit the story.
It was completely inspiring to hear about the successes of Darden's former students and his own achievements. He has recently met with TWO Pulitzer Prize Winners (Civil Rights Movement) to begin work on a project dealing with Black Gospel Music in the Civil Rights Era. Two of his former students have received great acclaim for their film, 3:10 to Yuma and those guys are working on their next project with Morgan Freeman. Incidentally, the guys always use Darden's name in their films and Morgan Freeman is scripted to use his name next. My other colleague, Jonathan is working on a grant to write while finishing up a writing fellowship which he cannot give any information about. I will receive his screenplay and novel in June to give him feedback on which should see publishing first. The work is absolutely brilliant and is a much better love story than that of The Notebook. Darden says he is more tender-hearted than ever and it shows through in his work. We are planning a one day Writing Workshop to get the kids together again and give critique on what we are working on. I do not understand how I can be seen in the same class as these guys, but I do like the work. Darden congratulated me on staying away from marriage as a means to give purpose to an aimless life...I guess some girls at Baylor just go there to find a husband although none of my friends did.
After I begin sending query letters out for my book, I will begin work on my next project. It will require some traveling and countless hours of research, however, this would be the project that would solidify my voice in the genre as serious and dedicated. I actually began research in 2005 and find it is the right time to move forward with it. If the book is published and well received, I will begin to think about a screenplay adaptation, but I would want to work on that.
So that was the working part of the trip. Mom and I had a great time shopping at Spice! We also ate at Ninfa's! I was telling Joshua that I really didn't understand why we were all so chunky in college and now I understand! We ate at Ninfa's, Gratzianos, Rudy's, and Dairy Queen all the flipping time! And we ran the Bear Trail and walked to class! Oh well, at least we had fun!
It was definitely great to go home again!
1 comment:
So exciting!!!
Post a Comment