Wednesday, February 13, 2008

One Week

So it occurs to me that I'm supposed to speak at Baylor (Sic 'Em Bears) next week and I laugh because I'm nervous and I have no idea where to even begin. I am doing it as a favor to the most influential person in my writing career and therein lies the problem...pressure! Darden not only taught me everything I know about writing as a business, but as an art. He also taught me everything I know about film and so much about music. He used to work for Billboard (yes, Billboard) back in the day as a reviewer for Gospel music and R&B. His stories are legendary! He knows everything about everything and he's giving me a shot...again.

I'm trying to outline my writing process...so difficult for me, but I'm learning it is more about instincts and taking chances than anything else. You can't have any ego when you send things off because the odds are usually against you as a newbie writer. There is a fine line of confidence and arrogance in query letters and it is hit or miss with everything else. Every decision seems to be make or break it in the business and you have to have thick skin. You have to chase after your dream until you win and you will eventually win.

At our last workshop meeting, just before we graduated, Darden told us our strengths and weaknesses as writers and people. He told me that I had "it" as a writer and that I was would always be one of his favorite students. He then said that I reminded him alot of one of his former students, Angela Kinsey. He explained that she was a great, little actress with a pretty big series coming out, The Office (Yes, that "Office"!) I just want to live up to expectations because this is the only thing I've fought so hard for. I hope to inspire other people to do the right thing for their careers. Maybe they will learn something from my past failures and present successes. It's just important to me to live up to those standards.

No comments: